Sunday, April 6, 2008

But Of That Day And Hour ...

Astrodon Johnstoni's lament calls to mind a conversation I had recently about sex ed with an acquaintance who was shocked, shocked, to discover that her fifth grader's teacher had touched on abortion as a politically significant issue in an election year. This acquaintance was considering keeping her son home from school for the rest of the elections unit. To my suggestion that she consider this a teachable moment for her or her husband to convey their beliefs about abortion to the boy, she replied, "But that was a decision I wanted the chance to make for myself, in my own time."

Go find me a fifth grader who has never heard the word "gay" or "abortion." I defy you to find me a one who (a) exists and (b) learned either word when his or her parents thought it was time.

No comments: