Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Long Haul, Part 1

I don't think there's a way to prepare kids for how long they're going to be grown-ups. Everything moves so fast for them in that mad rush from womb to dorm room that they can't conceive of decades upon decades of relative sameness. If I sound like I'm working through my own mid-life issues, that's because I am. Ah, the years weigh heavy on me tonight!

Setting The Talk About Sex aside for A Very Special Episode perpetuates the myth that the sexual drive is somehow outside the realm of regular moral choice or practical consideration. One practical consideration on my mind tonight is that responsible adult life can be uniquely dull for long stretches of time. I say this as a woman who reminds her kids daily that only boring people get bored and means it. The fact that boredom represents a failure of imagination doesn't change the fact that some things are just, well, boring.

Forget the debate about abstinence education vs. comprehensive sex ed in schools - how you train your kids to cope with Teh Boring will shape their sexual morality and behavior more than whether they learn about contraception in school.

1 comment:

Astrodon Johnstoni said...

I remember on "My So-Called Life," when the football player has objectified the girlfriend and she's making him say the non-sexual things he likes about her and he replies, "Well, you're usually... happy." That rang true. I mean, I delight in my husband, not because he's a paragon, but because I know how to derive happiness from the people in my trip.