Friday, January 11, 2008

Looking For A Voice

I'm having a problem with picking links. The sites I can find that address my chosen topic are invariably liberal and secular. The sites I find that link to my intended audience are, well, not about my intended topic. The link about modesty has certain charms, but it doesn't lead where I want to go. So I think I'll throw out a bunch of stuff from all over the ideological landscape and work from that. And maybe someday, someday, I will get comments from someone who doesn't know me personally. Heck, I got up to five visitors on the site the other day, at least two of whom weren't me ...



I'm finding a lot of fodder for thought at the RHRealityCheck blog on sexuality education, for example. But when one of their prominently featured pages is "About The Right" and religious considerations are addressed in sneering tones, I can be pretty sure that the conservative-leaning folks I think I'm targeting are not going to treat the RealityCheck as a credible knowledge source. Call it a hunch. What bugs me in some of their posts is not the concept of comprehensive sexuality education, it's the absence of the role of parents. A school can no more give your children a comprehensive sexual education than it can raise them for you. And teenagers, let's all repeat again, are still being raised by their parents until they reach majority and often beyond. The school has an important role to play, sure, but I don't understand the primacy public discourse gives to the role of the school. This isn't just a liberal failing - check out this abstinence blog and tell me if you see anything there that tells you what in Sam Hill parents are supposed to be doing.

2 comments:

Astrodon Johnstoni said...

I rawther like these guys -- http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/parents/index.htm

Anonymous said...

If you are actually looking to tach your teens about abstinence and want a faith-based rsource, "And th Bride Wore White" and "Who Moved th Goalposts" are both excellent books for teens that talk about sex, purity and other teenage stuff. Otherwise, I think just being open and not being afraid to tell your kids what you expect from them in ALL aspects of life, they'll listen. Kids don't want to dissapoint thier parents, so if they know that having sex before marriage or getting pregnant or getting and STD will disappoint you, they will most likely think twice.